Manage your options
Cookies in use
Strictly necessary anonymous cookies
csrf_token - A security cookie used to identify the visitor and prevent Cross Site Request Forgery attacks. Expires: 2 hours.
last_activity - Records the time of the last page load. Used in conjunction with the last_visit cookie. Expires: 1 year
last_visit - Date of the visitors last visit. Expires: 1 year
visitor_consents - Saves responses to Consent requests for non-logged in visitors. Expires: 1 year
sessionid - Session id, used to associate a logged in visitor with their data. Expires 1-2 hours.
__stripe_mid, __stripe_sid - Cookies set by Stripe payment gateway, required to validate donation payments.
Functionality cookies (where enabled)
tracker - Contains the last 5 pages viewed, encrypted for security. Typically used for form or error message returns. Expires end of session.
Performance cookies (where enabled)
_pk_id - collects anonymised data about what pages you visit. Expires: 13 months
_pk_ref - collects anonymised data about what pages you visit. Expires: 6 months
_pk_ses, _pk_cvar, _pk_hsr - collects anonymised data about what pages you visit. Expires: 30 minutes
piwik_ignore, matomo_ignore - may be set if you disallow performnace cookies. Expires: never
Targeting cookies (where enabled)
Currently not used.
We also use some third-party services to enhance the functions of the site, which result in trackers being active if you have enabled them. You can block tracking of your online activity by using a tool such as PrivacyBadger, uBlockOrigin or Ghostery.
What are 'cookies'?
Cookies are small text files stored by your web browser that contain information about your visit to this web site:
- Cookies set by this site are anonymous and do not contain any personal information (Strictly necessary, Functionality and Performance cookies).
- Cookies set by our donation payment partners (Stripe, Paypal and Justgiving) may contain personal information such as your name and address in order to validate and process payments.
- Cookies set by 3rd party services such as Youtube videos or Google maps may contain personally identifiable information and can used to profile you for the purpose of serving targeted advertising. You can opt out of these by disabling "targeting" cookies, or by changing your browser preferences.
What are these cookies used for?
- prevent Cross Site Request Forgery attacks
- track the last 5 viewed pages, used in conjunction with email forms or error messages
- remember your consent options
- estimate our audience size and patterns
- track preferences so we can improve and update our website
- track the progress and number of entries in some of our promotions and events
You don't need to accept cookies to use our site.
Do cookies have any impact on my privacy?
1st party cookies set by this site cannot be accessed by others.
3rd party cookies such as from Youtube, Google, Twitter or Facebook can be used to track and profile you around the web. To prevent these disable "targeting" cookies, or change your browser privacy preferences.
Do I have to provide consent?
You can change your browser settings to control what cookies are allowed, please see your browser documentation for instructions.
Our website may feature share buttons which enable you to share articles with your friends via social media. These do not set cookies on our site.